At work I also did lunch with a biz-dev guy from a stable company that does the mass transit systems for some huge cities. We had a great meeting and talking openly about everything. Talking to the cafe guy later, during my afternoon jolt to prevent a food coma, we agreed that big business is pretty simple.
1. Be honest and open. If you can’t do that, be honest and open about it.
2. Say what you’re going to do, and do what you say.
3. Believe in your job and company.
4. Answer your email even if it’s just a “got it”, “I can’t do that”, or “I’ll get back to you in two days.”
5. Ask stupid questions vs. faking it.